The light switch is an indispensable thing in every occasion. The switch can control the on and off of the light, and it occupies a very important position in our daily life. Replacing light switches is also a problem that we often need to face in our daily lives.
If you don't know much about this aspect, then this article will definitely help you. Here we will give you some tips when you need to replace a light switch by yourself
What is the service life of the light switch?
Generally speaking, switches that have passed product certification have a ten-year quality guarantee. Each switch can open and close 30,000 to 40,000 times on average. Many people often switch the power supply frequently in order to save power. In fact, doing so does not save energy. On the contrary, it consumes more power and affects the service life of the lamp. This is because at the moment the switch is turned on, the filament is in a cold state. At this time, the filament will be subjected to a strong current impact, and the filament of the tube is impacted by high voltage, and the current at start up is 2 to 3 times the current during normal ignition . Start-up speeds up the consumption of the electron emission material on the filament. When the electron emission material on the filament is exhausted, the life of the lamp tube is over. If it is started once, and the lamp is only ignited for 1 hour, the life of the lamp tube is shortened to less than 70%. לָכֵן, try to avoid unreasonably frequent starting when using the bulb.
Do I need to cut off the power to replace the light switch?
For safety reasons, you need to turn off the main power switch when replacing any power equipment.
- Regardless of installing or removing the lamp, the power supply must be turned off. For safety reasons, it is necessary to turn off the electric turns. In addition, check whether there are some reserved wires on the ceiling to prevent electric shock accidents. If the floor height is very high, it is recommended that you still ask a professional master to replace it.
- If your own light bulb unfortunately burns out. At this time, the electrician was not around. The best way is to pull down the main switch first. Let the power supply in the room be completely cut off. This is one of the safest ways to replace light bulbs.
- If you don't want to pull down the switch. You can also replace the light bulb safely. Always wear plastic-soled shoes when changing bulbs. Because plastic shoes can be insulated. Avoid contact with the power source in case. An accident that caused an electric shock occurred.
- When changing for light bulbs. Be sure to keep your hands dry. Do not touch the power supply with wet hands. Because if you have water on your hands, the current will conduct electricity through the water. At that time, people are easily electrocuted. It is best to step on a wooden stool on top of your feet. It can split the current.
Do I need an electrician to replace the switch. Can I replace the light switch by myself?
Generally speaking, it is safer for a professional electrician to replace the switch than to install the switch yourself. However, if a professional electrician needs to make an appointment in advance to wait at home, many people will find it troublesome.
If you choose to replace the switch at home, you must pay attention to the following points:
Be sure to turn off the main power before replacing the switch to avoid electric shock accidents during installation.
After the power is turned off, you need to use an electric pen to check whether the switch that needs to be replaced is still live.
What happens if you wire the light switch incorrectly?
- What is the harm if the live wire and the neutral wire are reversed? If the installation is not careful, the live wire and the neutral wire are reversed. In this case, the reverse connection of the live wire and the neutral wire will not affect the use of electrical appliances at home, but there are hidden dangers for safe electricity use. Mainly, the control switches of some home appliances are used to control the live wire. If the live wire and the neutral wire at the socket are reversed, the control switch of the home appliance will control the neutral wire.
- What is the harm if the live wire and the ground wire are reversed? The ground wire can prevent the electrical wire insulation from charging the metal shell of the electrical appliance. If someone touches the metal shell at this time, it will cause an electric shock. In order to prevent such accidents, one pole of the socket is connected to the ground wire, which leads to the ground when the shell of the electrical appliance is electrified. At this time, when someone touches the shell, the resistance of the human body is much greater than the resistance between the electrical shell and the earth, so the current flowing through the human body is very small at some time, so as to avoid electric shock accidents. If the live wire and the ground wire are connected to the socket reversely, the metal casing of the appliance will be in a live state. At this time, if someone touches the shell, it will cause electric shock.
- What is the harm if the neutral wire and the ground wire are reversed? In terms of industrial power systems, the ground wire is taken from the earth and the resistance is less than 10 ohms. The neutral line of the transformer is taken from the neutral point of the transformer, and the neutral point of the transformer is grounded, so from the system diagram, the potential of the ground line and the neutral line are both zero, but the definition is different. But in the home improvement market, when installing sockets, the ground wire and the neutral wire cannot be reversed mainly because of the internal leakage protection switch in the home. If the connection is reversed, the incoming and outgoing currents flowing through the leakage protection switch will be unbalanced, which will cause the leakage protection switch to trip and affect the normal power supply.
How to distinguish the zero wire, the live wire, and the ground wire
- Distinguish by color: In the power cable, yellow, green, and red respectively represent phase A, phase B, phase C (three-phase live wire), blue represents the neutral wire, and yellow and green represent the ground wire.
- Use an electric pen to distinguish: the live wire will glow when tested with an electric pen, but the zero wire will not.
- Use a voltmeter to distinguish: the voltage between different phase wires (i.e. live wire) is the line voltage 380V, the voltage between the phase wire (live wire) and the neutral wire (or a good grounding body) is the phase voltage 220V, and the neutral wire is The voltage of a good grounding body is 0V.
How to wire the home light switch
Both switches must be installed on the same line, such as both on the live wire or on the neutral wire. That is, they are connected in series on the same line. 1. Distinguish the power live wire (ל) and neutral wire (N); 2. Installation method: power live wire → switch inlet terminal terminal → switch outlet terminal terminal → lamp holder middle terminal → lamp holder outer ring terminal → power zero line. Note: The live wire is connected to the middle terminal of the lamp holder to prevent people from getting an electric shock when repairing the bulb (or replacing the bulb) and cleaning, and protect the safety of life. Both switches must be installed on one line, such as both on the live wire or on the neutral wire. That is, they are connected in series on the same line. 1. Distinguish the power line (ל) and neutral line (N); 2. Installation method: power line → switch inlet terminal terminal → switch outlet terminal terminal → lamp holder middle terminal → lamp holder outer ring terminal → power supply zero line. תיאור: The live wire is connected to the middle terminal of the lamp holder to prevent people from getting an electric shock when repairing the bulb (or replacing the bulb) and cleaning, and to protect the safety of life.