What is a one-way switch?
One-way switch is the most commonly used type of switch in the family. The one-way switch only controls one light or power supply, and the one-way switch has two terminals, which are connected to the incoming and outgoing wires respectively. The circuit is closed when the switch is open, and the circuit is opened when the switch is closed.
How to wire the single switch?
A one-way switch is generally composed of a bottom box and a panel. The panel part is its most important part. The bottom box plays a role of fixing and supporting the panel. The one-way switch has two terminals. There are only two wiring holes for the one-way switch, so connect the power cord and the control wire to the lamp head into the two wiring holes respectively. First use a flat-blade screwdriver to pry open the panel, and connect the wire of the switch bottom box to the corresponding terminal on the back of the switch. There are two binding posts on the one-way switch, one of the binding posts L is connected to the incoming wire, namely the live wire, and the other binding post L1 is connected to the light or power line.
The wiring diagram is as follows:
What is a two-way switch?
The two-way switch is a switch with two contacts of normally open and normally closed at the same time. It can control one light from two separate locations. For example. Turn on the bedroom light at the bedroom door, and another switch next to the bed can turn off the light. These two switches can control the lights in the same bedroom.
How to wire a two-way switch
The red wire (live wire) and the blue wire (zero wire) are connected to the socket terminal L and N respectively, the yellow and green two-color wire is connected to the socket terminal E (protection wire), and then a short wire is used to short the socket L terminal and switch terminal L , Another wire from the bulb is connected to the switch terminal L1.
What to pay attention to when wiring two-way switch
- Usually, the installation height of the switch is 1.4m from the ground and 0.2m from the door. Itdepends on the environment in which it is used. Generally, the living room should be about 30m away from the ground, the kitchen and bathroom should be about 1.4m away from the ground, and the air-conditioning socket should be about 1.8m away from the ground.
- The distance between the power cord and the socket should not be less than 50cm. When installing the power socket, connect the neutral wire (N) on the left side of the socket, the live wire (L) on the right side, and the protective earth wire (PE) in the middle. For household power outlets, it is recommended to use products with protective doors to protect family members and children’s lives.
- The switch or socket installed in the bathroom and open balcony should be equipped with a corresponding waterproof box. The switch which control the bathroom is better to install it outside the bathroom.Because it canprevent water vapor from entering the switch, extendthe lifetime of the switch When installing the socket beside the bed in the bedroom, avoid the cover of the bedside table or bed board.
The difference between one-way switch and two-way switch
- From the appearance point of view, there is no difference in the front appearance of the one-way switch and the two-way switch, except that the number of wires of the rear core is different. The rear core of a one-way switch has two terminals, which can connect two wires; the rear core of a two-way switch has three terminals, which can be connected to three wires.
- From the price point of view, the price of two-way switch will be higher than that of one-way switch
- From the perspective of the number of installations, if you only want to control the opening and closing of the power supply in one place, then you should choose a one-way switch. If you want to control the same power supply in two different places, then you have to install a two-way switch. For example, in a long corridor, you turn on the light on one side of the corridor, and when you reach the end of the corridor, you want to turn off the light, you only need to install the other two-way switch at the end of the corridor which also can control the light.
- From the functional point of view, the dual two-way switch can be used instead of the one-way switch. It has the function of a single control switch, but in the decoration, the one way switch cannot be used to replace the two way switch.